Things You Should Know Before Hiring a Backend Developer
Getting the right developer is not an easy task. There is so much to consider like the type of project you’re working on, company desires, salary expectations, and many more.
There are three major types of developers: front-end, back-end, and full-stack developers. This implies that you have to consider those things listed above to know which developer fits in for your project. Each developer has a different and exact strength that allows web applications to function or operate at optimal capacity.
Have you ever tried booking a set of movie tickets or shopping from an e-commerce app? Or try getting answers on the browser.
Have you ever wondered how the content is always changing and updating with real-time data or guidelines without typing all the details? It seems like magic right?
All this is a part of the behind-the-scenes strategy generally known as ‘Back-end Development. They are the most critical roles in your development team.
Who is a back-end developer?
A back-end developer is a person that uses the technology assigned to create the products for the backend of any website. They are mostly focused on how a website works and are responsible for developing and maintaining your website, server, application, and database by using connected web technologies like Python, Java, Go, etc
Functions of a Backend Developer
Back-end developers work collaboratively with front-end developers, and UX specialists to create the most detailed technology solutions for businesses of any kind. The major task and goal of any back-end developer are to ensure that the apps they are responsible for will endure large loads of traffic and not crash even with highly demanding scripts. Let’s take a look at some of the Basic duties of a back-end developer:
- They Develop and maintain various web applications.
- Ability to integrate cloud computing solutions and third-party APIs;
- They Prevent security problems and attacks;
- Ability to create, integrate, and utilize databases.
- Ability to solve problems such as troubleshooting or debugging.
How to Hire The Best Developer?
The back-end is an important part of both your website and any organization’s success.
However, in a digitally evolving world, you can’t make decisions based on resumes and feelings. Your strategy for finding an ideal back-end candidate is supported by a clear knowledge of the skills and expertise relevant to both the tech stack and your business.
Moreover, each organization has various needs, there are some common skills many recruiters and hiring managers look out for in back-end developer candidates. Understanding which skills and qualifications are needed can help you select the best-fit candidate.
Back-end developers can:
- Work with Database technologies like MySQL, MongoDB, Oracle and many more.
- Administer servers like Microsoft IIS, Linux, and Apache to develop and deploy the system.
- Learn one of the programming languages- Java, Go, Python, among others
- Use APIs executed across devices such as AJAX, SOAP, and JSON to trade data between mobile devices, websites, and other connected systems.
Back-End Developers must be skilful at
This is one of the most popular and celebrated software programming languages of all time that is used in more than 3 billion devices.
A powerful programming language with a high level designed with easy understanding for both beginners and seasoned developers.
This is Google’s latest development environment and the programming language is valuable in developing and optimizing apps.
- Node JS
Node JS is a universal language for everyone as well as clients and server-side programming. This is open-source and cross-platform with a unique runtime environment that helps build fast network applications.
Ruby is very popular among developers owing to its dynamic, and open-source programming which focuses on simplicity and productivity.
Although knowing technologies contribute to making back-end developers, a great one. it is valuable to acknowledge the key languages and frameworks that set them apart. Know their experience and exposure to various technologies to get a detailed picture of your back-end developers’ profile.
This skill sets them apart and also has to apply to your project and your organizational needs.
Interviewing a back-end developer
Ever wondered about what a good back-end developer is and how you spot them?
Apart from the technological and technical skills listed above, conducting an interview is also needed in hiring the right developer. The right interview questions can help you access a candidate’s hard skills, behavioural intelligence, and soft skills and can help you in choosing the right one.
A few Interview questions to ask a back-end developer.
- What is your favourite programming language and why?
- How would you describe the software lifecycle at your most recent position?
- What are RESTful API’s design constraints?
- How to achieve High Availability (HA)?
- What is an SQL injection?
According to research made recently, a Back end developer’s average salary is around $70,000 yearly with a lower range of about $33,000 and an upper range of approximately $99,000 and in most cases, they are as high as $116,000 for senior and experienced developers. Factors that play a part in salary range can be location and years of experience on the job.
How do I find a back-end developer?
Finding a skilled developer for your company is a price you must pay if you have a successful project at hand. I have identified the type of developer that suits you best, like freelancer, in-house, or outsourced. There are numerous platforms to choose from when it comes to hiring back end or other important tech roles, organizations have found that using third-party assistance to find the right candidate is not only helpful but time-efficient.
So let’s review these two important choices for businesses to use when bringing a third party to help with hiring:
- Direct Placement Hiring: This happens by using a staffing agency as a way to avoid the recruitment process and use a third party’s connections and experience in the field to find candidates, and you select the best among them. At Borderless we help organizations in hiring developers. This often leads to a permanent placement.
- Remote Hiring: Staffing services provide direct connections to qualified candidates that have been vetted for quality and experience. There are remote companies like GitHub, Recruiterbox, Zapier and many more.
Now with all these suggestions listed above, you must know the right way to hire Back-end developers. Hiring a skilful and knowledgeable Back-end developer is vital for project success.
However, that doesn’t mean you must find a perfect candidate. if you keep searching for too long, you’ll end up losing considerable amounts of time and money. Take a chance on a person that seems knowledgeable and friendly and follow these points listed here and begin the journey.
Looking for a company to help you hire the best and most competent Backend developers at the fastest possible time for your organization?